Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's a start

Wow okay so I'm new to blogging. Not to reading blogs because I do that all the time, but writing a blog. I know that is something that everyone does now, and it’s incredible to think that people out there are interested in my opinion of things. But I think I am getting ahead of myself.

Last night I was talking to a friend about careers. I told her that if I could do anything I would like to write books for a living. She also likes writing and we started talking about writing blogs.
As she mentioned, during our conversation, that there are two sides of a story. I jokingly said, " then what we should do, is write both sides of the story." We continued to talk about taking creative writing courses but we both came to the same conclusion. The problem with a creative writing course is that it takes what you write and dissects it into tiny pieces of things you did wrong, so that you can learn from it. At the end of the course you may have a diploma but you have no self-esteem.

I grew up with a very supportive family that would tell me that I could do anything I put my mind too. That whatever I decided to do I would succeed. However the reality of life showed me otherwise. I was never pretty enough, smart enough, talented enough, tall enough, etc. Again and again life would knock me down whenever I dared to dream too big.

Someone once told me that everyone has a story to tell. I believe that everyday there is a different story to tell. I have always been creating stories for myself. I don’t remember a time that I didn’t.
In grade 2 or 3 we had a creative writing program. There were these cards that started a story for you and you continued it. I found a card that started with “ You were walking down the street and saw before you a door in the wall… you walk through the door and…” By the end of the year I had written 20 stories about this door. It became a magic door where I was transported to different places and just when I was about to get into trouble I would find it and make it home for dinner. The teacher kept my stories to show the parents and then any of the classes she taught years later.

So I grew to love writing. However, reality may show that I love writing, but it doesn’t make me a great writer. Anything I write ends up in a box somewhere hidden away.

My conversation sparked an interest and a challenge in my friend. We are going to do it. There are two of us and our blogs are going to be a conversation between us. We are going to pick a topic, any topic and are going to blog about it. Each one of us writing a different side of the story.

So now you know a little about me, and you will learn a little about her when you read the linking blog. http://kelsey82.blogspot.com

If you are following us. I hope you enjoy our blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment